- 8th January - Frank Blakey proposes to Janie Harker. She later accepts.
- 16th January - Sick of constantly rowing with Jack, Marian Wilks leaves for a Greek Islands cruise (Last appearance of Marian Wilks until 1974). Amos Brearly proposes to Annie Sugden but she turns him down.
- 22nd January - First appearance of George Verney.
- 23rd January - Jim Latimer traps Sharon Crossthwaite in an alleyway and is increasing threatening towards her. Sharon escapes when Trash throws rocks at Jim to distract him.
- 29th January - Trash breaks into Mill Cottage and is later discovered by Jack Sugden.
- 30th January - Sharon Crossthwaite is raped and murdered by Jim Latimer (Final appearance of Sharon Crossthwaite)
- 5th February - First appearance of Edward Ruskin.
- 12th February - First appearance of Liz Ruskin.
- 13th February - David Glover is born to Ned and Jan Glover.
- 19th February - Trash dies after falling out a window trying to escape the police. (Final appearance of the character)
- 26th February - Alison Gibbons arrives in the village looking for a job at the Woolpack (First appearance of the character).
- 12th March - Trash's funeral takes place. Jack Sugden is the only one who attends.
- 13th March - George Verney attacks Jack Sugden outside The Woolpack.
- 19th March - Penny Golightly arrives in the village to meet her father, Trash. (First appearance of the character)
- 20th March - Penny Golightly finds out her father is dead. Laura Verney tries to convince Jack Sugden to leave Beckindale with her. She ends up leaving alone.
- 27th March - Frank Blakey and Janie Harker get married.
- 1st April - Dan Spencer is born.
- 9th April - Joe Sugden discovers Inglebrook House on fire after Henry Wilks accidentally leaves the coal fire burning.
- 10th April - Peggy Skilbeck gives birth to twins; Sam and Sally. (First appearances of the characters)
- 17th April - Jim Latimer attempts to strangle Penny Golightly but Jack Sugden and Edward Ruskin walk in on him. Jim is arrested and later, confessed to Sharon Crossthwaite's murder.
- 24th April - David Reece discovers a skull at the millhouse.
- 8th May - A young girl named Jenny is rushed to hospital after she is accidentally buried at the dig.
- 15th May - Joe Sugden proposes to Penny Golightly. He storms out after Penny laughs at him, not taking it seriously.
- 21st May - Clare Scott takes over as the local doctor from Maurice Grant. (First appearance of Clare Scott)
- 5th June - David Reece discovers Gwen Russell and Jack Sugden in David's bed together.
- 12th June - David Reece and Gwen Russell decide to return to Cardiff. (Final appearance of the characters)
- 19th June - Penny Golightly moves back to Birmingham. (Final appearance of the character)
- 23rd June - Tess Harris is born.
- 2nd July - Simon Trent proposes to Clare Scott.
- 16th July - Peggy Skilbeck dies after suffering from a subarachnoid haemorrhage. (Final appearance of the character)
- 19th July - Carl King is born to Tom and Mary King.
- 24th September - Fred Nelson is hospitalised after crashing his car.
- 1st October - Jim Latimer's mother Hilda arrives in the village for Jim's trial. Some young lads throw mud at her. (First appearance of the character)
- 9th October - First appearance of Lena Dawkins. Amos Brearly goes to look after his dying brother.
- 15th October - Matt Skilbeck's aunt and uncle arrive in the village. (First appearance of the characters)
- 16th October - Jack Sugden goes to Rome to write a script for a film adaptation of his book, exactly 1 year after returning to Beckindale. (Last appearance of the character until 1976)
- 22nd October - Amos Brearly's brother dies.
- 29th October - Amos Brearly returns to the village.
- 12th November - Christine Sharp arrives in the village, interested in Emmerdale Farm (First appearance of the character).
- 26th November - George Verney gets a surprise when his ex-wife, Laura, returns to the village.
Real life eventsEdit
to be added
|←1972 1973 1974→|