Pat drives Janie back to the train station, picking up a book for Jack on the way. As she drives along the roads back to Beckindale she swerves to miss a flock of sheep and the car plunges down a bank, hitting one in the process. Shortly afterwards, noticing a sheep lying in the middle of the road, a milk tanker driver comes along and discovers the car at the bottom of the bank and races down. Back at home, Jack and Annie wait for Pat to return. The police and ambulance crew arrive at the scene of the accident. Jack is stunned when Sgt McArthur breaks the news to him that Pat has been involved in a car accident and is dead. He breaks the news to Jackie and Sandie in The Woolpack.
- The Woolpack - Public bar and backroom, beer garden
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room and yard, front garden and cowshed
- Home Farm - Study
- Hotten Cattle Market
- Train Station
- Unknown roads
- Viewers in Barnsley under Yorkshire Television and Lincolnshire under Central Independant Television were unable to see the complete broadcast of this episode due to a power cut. To make up for this, the episode was repeated at some point the following day.
- Final appearance of Helen Weir as Pat Sugden, although the character did appear in a flashback that Jack had showing extra footage of the accident in the episode broadcast on 11th September 1986.
- The child actor who plays Robert Sugden appears uncredited.
- The end of part one break bumper features no music.
|August 1986 episodes|
|• Tue 5th • Thu 7th • Tue 12th • Thu 14th • Tue 19th • Thu 21st • Tue 26th • Thu 28th|