A man is interested in buying a musket rest from the Blakeys, which they have been using as a clothesline prop. Frank receives a letter asking him to apply for a teaching job, in Essex. George discovers that Alison has decided to no longer stock his brand of boot polish. He upsets her by saying that Amy had more thought for her customers. Janie receives a letter from Carol stating she's not coming home as she has a new boyfriend and they're going to Africa together. George sells Laura's horse to Mr. Potter. He decides to divorce Laura. Annie goes through some old photos with Matt. They reflect on the year they've had. Joe, Henry, Alison, Frank and Janie see in the New Year at The Woolpack. Janie is forced to tell Joe about Carol.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Frank - Eric Allan
- Janie - Diane Grayson
- Alison - Carolyn Moody
- Verney - Patrick Holt
- The Woolpack - Public bar
- Village Store - Shop floor
- Smithy Cottage - Living room
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse living room/kitchen
- Miffield Hall - Lounge, Stable
- Lorraine Peters is credited as Mrs Dawkins despite not appearing in this episode.
- TV Times synopsis: George Verney comes to a decision about his marriage.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|December 1973 episodes|
|• Mon 3rd • Tue 4th • Mon 10th • Tue 11th • Mon 17th • Tue 18th • Mon 31st|