Amos arrives back from his brother's auction with a family heirloom - a painting of his grandfather. Ruth Merrick turns up at Smithy Cottage. Frank and Janie are surprised to see her. Joe, Matt, Henry and Annie go over Cuthbertson's scheme for the farm. They agree to go through with his decisions. Henry isn't happy about selling Hawthorn Cottage however and is shocked further when Joe suggests knocking down the remains of Inglebrook House and joining the land up with Emmerdale Farm. The following day, Henry calls into the farm to inform them he's going to London on business for the day tomorrow and he and Joe disagree over the plans for Inglebrook land again. Alison reminds him that the shop's deep freezer is being delivered tomorrow but Henry informs her he won't be there for it. Reverend Ruskin visits Frank and discovers Ruth is back. He asks after Tom but she tries to avoid the question and snaps at him.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Ruskin - George Little
- Alison - Carolyn Moody
- Frank - Eric Allan
- Janie - Diane Grayson
- Ruth - Lynn Dalby
- The Woolpack - Backroom
- Village Store - Shop floor, Exterior
- Smithy Cottage - Living room
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room, Milking shed
- First appearance of Ruth Merrick since 21st November 1972.
- TV Times synopsis: Janie Blakey is astonished when her sister, Ruth, comes back to Beckindale, without her husband or her children . . .
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|January 1974 episodes|
|• Tue 1st • Mon 7th • Tue 8th • Mon 14th • Tue 15th • Mon 21st • Tue 22nd • Mon 28th • Tue 29th|