Marian visits Frank and asks him to make front gates for Inglebrook House, she is amazed to see a book written by Jack Sugden, and borrows it from Frank. Jack is furious that Bart told his family about him being an author of a best selling book claiming that having money makes him feel guilty. The Sugdens and Skilbecks discuss having an author in the family. Joe receives his court summons. Jack shows the old millhouse off to Bart. Bart recognises the building from 'The Field of Tares'. Marian is glued to Jack's book. Amos offers Janie a job as barmaid in The Woolpack. Bart advises Jack to buy Jameson's Farm and restore the old millhouse. Frank objects to Janie taking the job of barmaid and proposes to her. Henry asks Matt to come to see him tonight. Jack visits Harry with Bart who can't find anything positive to say about his farmhouse. Jack makes him an offer for the farm. Matt, Peggy and Annie prepare to leave for Bradford to pick up a washing machine. Peggy and Annie want to stay a bit longer to make a night of it, but Matt is forced to tell them he can't as he's meant to be seeing Henry tonight about a manager's job at Jameson's Farm. Jack reveals to them that he is going to buy Jameson's Farm, whatever it costs, and live in the old millhouse.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Peggy - Jo Kendall
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Marian - Gail Harrison
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Frank - Eric Allan
- Janie - Diane Grayson
- The Woolpack - Public
- The Mill - Bedroom
- Hotten Road
- Beckindale Forge
- Smithy Cottage - Living room
- Inglebrook House - Downstairs rooms
- Jameson's Farm - Farmland
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room and sheep dip
- The Blue Boar, Hotten - Bedroom
- The long theme returned for the opening of this episode with the music playing into the first scene as Marian Wilks rode on horseback to Beckindale Forge.
- Toke Townley is credited as Sam Pearson though he doesn't appear in this episode.
- TV Times synopsis: Episode 23: Joe has refused the job Mr. Wilks offered, and recommended Matt for it instead. Meanwhile, Annie is convinced that Harry Jameson is hoping to play Jack and Mr. Wilks off against each other, and Bart has arrived for tea at the Sugden's and referred to Jack as Annie's "famous son".
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|January 1973 episodes|
|• Mon 1st • Tue 2nd • Mon 8th • Tue 9th • Mon 15th • Tue 16th • Mon 22nd • Tue 23rd • Mon 29th • Tue 30th|