Jack tells Joe that Peggy's pregnant. Annie asks Jack to make some decisions about the farm. Jack receives two letters in the post - one is from Henry's solicitor arranging a meeting to discuss the right of way, the other from London. Marian arrives at the farm to speak to Joe, she's fascinated with the kitchen. Jack tells Peggy that he intends to restore the old millhouse and divide up the farm. Jack goes for a walk and chats to a few village elders whose conversation gives him food for thought. Peggy nags Matt to apply for an unskilled factory job in Bradford as she is worried about their future. Joe gives Marian her first fishing lesson and she accidentally breaks Matt's rod. They go for a drink in The Woolpack where they run into Jack. Joe mentions that Annie wants a word with him about replacing the hens. Jack says if it was left to him they would not be replaced as he doesn't believe in imprisoning animals.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Peggy - Jo Kendall
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Marian - Gail Harrison
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Village Elder 1 - Daisie Adair (credited as Village Elders)
- Village Elder 2 - Frank Crawshaw (credited as Village Elders)
- Village Elder 3 - Gordon Richardson (credited as Village Elders)
- Beckindale village
- The Woolpack - Public
- Road outside of The Woolpack - see notes
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room, stairs, yard, milking shed, farmland
- Road outside of Emmerdale Farm
- Arthur Pentelow is credited as Wilks, though he does not appear in this episode.
- The character of Janie Harker seems to appear in this episode as a walk-on part when Marian Wilks makes reference to a girl who's staring at Joe Sugden in The Woolpack. Joe then talks about her being Ruth Merrick's sister. The unnamed actress, however, is not Diane Grayson, who would debut in Episode 13.
- TV Times synopsis: Now that Jack Sugden has come home to inherit the family farm, his sister Peggy is urging her husband Matt to leave.
Jack managed to antagonise Wilks the first time they met. Now Wilks wants a formal meeting to discuss a right of way. Meanwhile, Joe has promised to take Marian fishing . . .
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|October 1972 episodes|
|• Mon 16th • Tue 17th • Mon 23rd • Tue 24th • Mon 30th • Tue 31st|