The builders start work on the pig unit. Buckley gets his car stuck in a muddy field much to the amusement of Sam as Matt and Joe struggle to move it. Penny's friend Gwen arrives; she's also brought a friend with her, David. Penny is sheepish and apologises to Jack. He's not pleased. Jack arrives at Emmerdale Farm and embarrasses Buckley. Jack lays down house rules for the guests. He quizzes them on their past and clashes with David quickly. Penny and David go for a walk at the pig farm site. He finds a piece of pottery. Gwen inspects it back at the millhouse, she thinks it's part of a Bronze Age beaker. Penny arrives at Emmerdale Farm and asks to use the telephone to ring Bradford University for advice on the piece of pottery. They're invited to the university and set off for Bradford, but stop by the field to see if they can find anything else first. As Buckley comes to find out what they're doing, David finds a skull in the ground.
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- The Woolpack - Public bar
- The Mill - Penny's bedroom, exterior
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room, yard, field
- TV Times synopsis: Episode 54: Henry Wilks is not getting as much support as he would like from the Sugdens for his pig unit scheme. Jack Sugden has agreed to Penny's friend, Gwen Russell, coming to live at the old mill.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|April 1973 episodes|
|• Mon 2nd • Tue 3rd • Mon 9th • Tue 10th • Mon 16th • Tue 17th • Mon 23rd • Tue 24th • Mon 30th|