Tom taunts Ruth about the accident pretending that Jack was involved. Peggy and Sam wait at home for news. Annie and Jack return and tell the family that Joe and Henry are both seriously ill after crashing their cars into each other. Joe is in a coma and has broken his right arm and some ribs while Henry has a broken leg. Both families are upset. Peggy and Jack fall out over Henry. Jack helps Matt on the farm. Matt tells Peggy he won't be going to the interview in Bradford now Joe's been involved in an accident. She isn't pleased. Marian anxiously waits for news at Inglebrook House. Peggy discusses Matt making excuses to not attend the interview with Annie, she suggests she should see if they can postpone the interview. Jack decides to hire Tom Merrick. Peggy catches Amos gossiping about the car accident and Joe drinking. Peggy rings Latters to say that Matt won't be able to make the interview due to a bereavement, but is disappointed when they won't postpone it. PC Ball asks Amos if Joe had been drinking in The Woolpack. Marian visits Henry in hospital, he says Joe was to blame for the accident as he swerved into their drive as he was about to leave. He wonders if Joe was drunk.
- Annie - Sheila Mercier
- Jack - Andrew Burt
- Peggy - Jo Kendall
- Joe - Frazer Hines
- Matt - Frederick Pyne
- Sam - Toke Townley
- Marian - Gail Harrison
- Wilks - Arthur Pentelow
- Amos - Ronald Magill
- Ruth - Lynn Dalby
- Tom - David Hill
- Beckindale village - Telephone box
- Tom and Ruth Merrick's house - Kitchen
- The Woolpack - Public
- Inglebrook House - Downstairs rooms
- Emmerdale Farm - Farmhouse kitchen/living room and hallway, yard and hay barn
- The Malt Shovel is referenced for the first time as Ruth Merrick refers to it as 'The Shovel'.
- From this episode onwards, the short theme is played over the opening titles permanently unless otherwise stated.
- This episode has a slightly different 'End of Part One' break bumper, using a piano version of the theme.
- TV Times synopsis: Episode nine: The Sugdens have heard that Jack is meeting "a woman" at The Feathers Hotel; Henry Wilks has tried to warn Marian that Jack may be married; there has been a bad accident outside the Wilks' home.
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|November 1972 episodes|
|• Mon 6th • Tue 7th • Mon 13th • Tue 14th • Mon 20th • Tue 21st • Mon 27th • Tue 28th|